- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bill Watterson has never sold the film rights to his beloved Calvin and Hobbes series, and this unauthorized movie trailer — quite ironically — illustrates a good reason why he’s been so steadfast in his refusal.
The crew at Gritty Reboots, a team of writers and web filmmakers, recently released their updated take on the famed comic, which finds a grownup Calvin now being tormented by his imagination. Hobbes, a figure of that active and adventurous childhood introspection, has gone rogue, seeking to take over Calvin’s brain, creating a fight for his very existence.
The trailer is shot and presented in a manner so similar to many recent Hollywood tentpole films, from the Christopher Nolan‘s mega-successful Batman reboot to the more recent Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Another inspiration is the work of Zach Snyder, whose upcoming Man of Steel, certainly qualifies as a “gritty reboot.”
This particular parody was made by Cinesaurus, a video content-creator for the web, and scripted by David Spear.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day