- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cameron Diaz has closed a deal to play Miss Hannigan in Annie, the update of the classic comic strip-turned-musical, Sony confirmed late Wednesday. The studio is making the project with producers Will Smith and Jay-Z.
Diaz will join Quvenzhane Wallis, who is on board to play the title character, and Jamie Foxx, who will play a modern incarnation of Daddy Warbucks, a billionaire named Benjamin Stacks.
Miss Hannigan is the mean lady who runs the orphanage where Annie lives with her friends.
Sandra Bullock twice tap-danced around the role but no deal was ever made.
Carol Burnett memorably played the role in the 1982 movie.
Will Gluck is directing the project, which has a host of producers: Smith and his Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter and Jada Pinkett-Smith are joined by Jay-Z, Jay Brown and Tyran “Ty Ty” Smith through Marcy Media.
Diaz is currently filming the Fox romantic comedy The Other Woman.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day