- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MGM is behind the movie and with the high pedigree of Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don’t Cry) in the director’s chair and a script by playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the moviemakers are hoping to make an elevated thriller that can stand next to the 1976 Brian De Palma classic.
“Never been so happy in my life! Thank you Kim Peirce and thank u MGM for the chance of a lifetime i will never forget!” tweeted Moretz, who got the offer for the highly coveted role early Tuesday morning.
Moretz will play the title character, a girl with a strict and abusive mother whose onset of puberty brings telepathic and telekinetic powers. The girl goes from being from a social outcast to prom queen but goes on a rampage after a horrible prank, destroying her high school and town.
Sissy Spacek played the title role in the De Palma movie.
Moretz is no shrinking violet when it comes to adult material. One of her earliest film appearances was in the 2005 remake of The Amityville Horror, and she starred in Let Me In, the American remake of Swedish vampire movie Let the Right One In. She also starred as a foul-mouthed assassin in comic-book adaptation Kick-Ass.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day