- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A plan to stop global warming has gone very, very wrong in Snowpiercer, which has debuted a new trailer.
The post-apocalyptic sci-fi film from South Korean director Bong Joon-ho is set in a future in which a failed experiment to put an end to global warming has resulted in an ice age, kililng off most of humanity. The only survivors live on Snowpiercer — a train that circumnavigates the globe and is powered by a perpetual-motion engine.
A class system has developed, with the poor living in the train’s tail and the rich living in the front. One man (Chris Evans) has had enough and seeks to reach the front of the train to benefit everyone on it. Among those looking to stop him is the strangely dressed Mason (Tilda Swinton).
It’s the first English-language film for Bong, known for directing the Korean monster blockbuster The Host (2006).
The film also stars Jamie Bell, Alison Pill, John Hurt, Octavia Spencer and Ed Harris. Frequent Bong collaborator Song Kang-ho plays Namgoong Minsu, a mysterious security specialist Evans’ character seeks out for help.
Snowpiercer is being released domestically by The Weinstein Co., which has not announced a release date. It hits South Korean theaters this summer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day