- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In an interview with the Associated Press posted Wednesday, the star said it was “not an easy time” for the cast after Gunn was fired by Disney last month. The firing came after old tweets that contained comments about rape and pedophilia were resurfaced by supporters of President Donald Trump. Gunn has been a staunch, vocal opposer of the president.
Outside of a group statement from the cast asking that Gunn be reinstated as the director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, most of the stars, save for Dave Bautista, have been somewhat quiet and avoided press interviews until now.
“We all love James and he’s a good friend of ours, but we also really love playing the Guardians of the Galaxy,” said the Star-Lord actor. “It’s a complicated situation for everybody.”
After the firestorm broke out, Gunn said the tweets were jokes meant to be provocative. He also apologized.
Castmembers — along with fans and a number of celebrities — defended Gunn from the start.
“All I know is we put a lot of time, thought and effort in the statement we released about it,” Pratt told the AP. “I think we all want that statement to be essentially what we have to say about it, and we were pretty clear and honest about how we feel.”
Sources told The Hollywood Reporter last week that Gunn’s script for Guardians 3 will still be used. A new director has yet to be named as the film approaches a planned shooting date of early next year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day