- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Goddard, who wrote the script and is producing, has been quietly putting together his cast over the last few weeks and is aiming for a January start.
The story is set at a run-down hotel near California’s Lake Tahoe named the El Royale and centers on a cast of characters whose own shady agendas will violently collide.
Bridges will play a priest, while Spaeny has been cast as an impressionable Southern girl. Details of Hemsworth’s role have not been revealed.
Erivo is one of the leads of the movie, playing a down-on-her-luck singer who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. The role does call for singing, according to insiders.
Erivo won the Tony Award for best actress in a musical for playing Celie in the 2015 revival of The Color Purple on Broadway, and she also won a Grammy for best musical theater album. Her appearance on NBC’s The Today Show also netted her and the Color Purple cast a Daytime Creative Emmy.
Erivo will be making her feature debut in Steve McQueen’s Widows with a cast that also includes Viola Davis and Liam Neeson. She also is attached to portray Harriet Tubman in the biopic Harriet, and is doing the animated cartoon TV series of The Boss Baby, based on the film. Erivo is repped by UTA and Authentic.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day