- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Daisy Ridley was jerked around with her character a lot more than fans realize while she worked on the latest Star Wars trilogy.
Visiting with Josh Gad as he guest-hosted Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Tuesday, Ridley revealed that at first, her character was going to be a descendant of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
“At the beginning, there was toying with an Obi-Wan connection — there were different versions — then it really went to it was no one, and then it came to episode nine and J.J. [Abrams] pitched me the film and was like ‘Oh, yeah, Palpatine is granddaddy,’ ” said Ridley. “Then two weeks later he was like, ‘Oh, we’re not sure,’ So, it kept changing. So, then even as we were filming, I wasn’t sure what the answer was going to be.”
It appears Abrams had one idea in mind when he co-wrote and directed Force Awakens, which Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson derailed. Then Abrams had to rethink his original plan amid Johnson’s changes when he signed on for Rise of Skywalker.
Naturally, Star Wars fans were both surprised and unhappy with the what-could-have-been revelation and took to social media to vent, “Rey Kenobi” quickly trending.
Watch the entire segment below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Behind The Screen