- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros. is planting the flag for Shazam!
The film will open April 5, 2019, the studio announced Friday. (It had previously carved out that date for an untitled DC movie.) The month is currently pretty open at the box office, with Paramount’s Pet Sematary opening a week after Shazam!.
Zachary Levi stars in the film as the adult superhero Captain Marvel, who is actually a young boy named Billy Batson (played by Asher Angel). Billy is able to transform into the hero by uttering the magic word “Shazam!” Mark Strong is in talks to play the film’s villain, with director David F. Samberg at the helm from a screenplay by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke.
Shazam! opens four months after the next DC film, Jason Momoa’s Aquaman (Dec. 21 of this year). And keeping the superhero momentum going, Marvel’s fourth Avengers film opens one month after Shazam! on May 3, 2019.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Best Man: The Final Chapters