- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
With J.J. Abrams now at the helm of the future of the Star Wars franchise, Disney and Lucasfilm have postponed the plan to continue the re-release of the prequel trilogy in theaters in 3D.
STORY: It’s Official: JJ Abrams Closes Deal to Direct ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’
“Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans,” the company stated in a post on the franchise’s official site. “We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date.”
The Phantom Menace 3D reissue was released by 20th Century Fox on Feb. 10 and grossed $22 million in its opening weekend en route to a total domestic haul of $43 million. The fate of the 3D versions of Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith are now to be determined.
Prior to the reissue of Menace last February, George Lucas spoke with The Hollywood Reporter and explained why he thought releasing one film a year was better than releasing all six films in 3D at once.
“I said, ‘This won’t sustain for six years (doing it that way),'” Lucas stated. “Everyone will go to the first one or two, and pretty soon you’ll be spending a lot of money and not having a lot of people come see the movie. I wanted to do it every year, and I wanted to make something that was sort of reliable. I wanted to put the same amount of effort into each conversion. It takes about nine months to do it.”
Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled for release in 2015, but THR has previously reported that Abrams hasn’t yet committed to that release date. The untitled sequel will be written by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Zach Braff on How Ex Florence Pugh Inspired ‘A Good Person’: “I Wanted to Write Something for Her”
‘Shazam! Fury of the Gods’ Director Says He’s a “Little Surprised” With Film’s Criticism
Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne Remember Lance Reddick at ‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ L.A. Premiere
‘Shazam! Fury of the Gods’ Writers Talk ‘Fast’ Joke, New DC Leadership and That Major Cameo
‘Boston Strangler’ Stars Carrie Coon and Keira Knightley on Playing the Working Mothers Who Pursued One of America’s Most Notorious Serial Killers