- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
There’s no place like Michigan.
The Sam Raimi directed Wizard of Oz reboot began filming on Monday, July 25th at the brand-new Raleigh Studios in Pontiac, Michigan. Oz The Great and Powerful is set for a March 8, 2013 release.
James Franco stars in the Disney flick as the title character from L. Frank Baum’s beloved story. As a Kansas circus musician with questionable ethics, Oscar Diggs (Franco) somehow finds himself in the magical Land of Oz. Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams play a trio of witches who question whether or not this new stranger is really the great wizard they’ve been hoping for.
Zach Braff joins the cast as Diggs’ circus assistant, in addition to lending his voice to a CGI created winged monkey named Finley, who will accompany the future wizard on his journey to Oz. Ramona and Beezus star Joey King will also voice a CGI character.
The production will take place in its entirety in the 200,000 square foot sound stage at Raleigh Michigan Studios. Joe Roth, Grant Curtis, Philip Seuer and Palak Patel are producing.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day