- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The actor is joining Chinese actress Liu Yifei, also known as Crystal Liu, who was cast as the female warrior after an extensive worldwide search that concluded with her hire in November. Yen will be playing Mulan’s mentor, Commander Tung.
Niki Caro will direct the feature, which is set for a March 27, 2020, release.
Chris Bender, Jason Reed and Jake Weiner are producing. Chinese producer Bill Kong (Monster Hunt; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) will executive produce.
Mulan will be a reteaming for Yen and Disney, with the actor having starred in the studio’s first Star Wars stand-alone, Rogue One. Yen is a mega-action star in his native China, having toplined the popular Ip Man series that is now on its fourth installment. He is repped by CAA, China’s Bullet Films and Bloom Hergott.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day