- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Director David Leitch introduced the new film and its stars, Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham. “We have two of the biggest stars on the planet who are tremendous talents who bring it like you’ve never seen it. We go around the world, we blow shit up.”
In the pic, Johnson and Statham reprise their Fast & Furious roles as Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw, while Idris Elba plays the villain.
The duo arrived onstage to huge applause from the gathered theater owners.
Statham, who plays Shaw, quipped that the movie was originally called Shaw & Hobbs, but they changed it.
Johnson first joked about the movie’s villain, saying it was “bullshit” that Elba was named People‘s “sexiest man alive.” Introducing a trailer, he said, “We wanted to build out the Fast & Furious franchise and create something that was special and had its own tapestry. But bottom line, we wanted to make something that was fun.”
The actor also praised the film, saying that it feels like the first time a blockbuster movie showcases the culture of Samoa.
Leitch directed the action-comedy from a script by Chris Morgan.
Hobbs & Shaw is set to hit theaters Aug. 2.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day