- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Wagner Moura, the Brazilian actor who starred to great acclaim in the South American country’s Elite Squad crime thrillers, will make his Hollywood debut playing the villain in Neill Blomkamp‘s Elysium.
Not much is known about the plot, although the setting is a future world. Social class figures into this world, and Damon’s character is an ex-con.
Moura will play the film’s powerful villain, described as having a crazy sense of humor.
Moura came to Hollywood’s attention playing the conflicted and well-intentioned Captain Nascimento in the Elite Squad movies, directed by Jose Padilha. The first movie won the Golden Bear Award at the 2008 Berlin Film Festival while the second one holds the record for box office gross in Brazil, beating out even Hollywood fare.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
New York Film Festival
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures