- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jenkins, who wrote the screenplay, and McCraney, who wrote the adapted play In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue, were nominated alongside Kenneth Lonergan (Manchester by the Sea), Mike Mills (20th Century Women), Ira Sachs and Mauricio Zacharias (Little Men) and Taylor Sheridan (Hell or High Water).
The film is also nominated for an Oscar for best adapted screenplay, to be announced on Sunday.
Onstage, Jenkins thanked his family and the movie’s producer Adele Romanski, letting his colleague McCraney deliver his own speech: “I’m gonna let the reverend do his own talking.”
McCraney thanked Jenkins and the actors who embraced the roles in the film, who “told the story and they told it well.”
The award was presented by Janelle Monae and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
The 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards were hosted by John Mulaney and Nick Kroll, airing live on IFC from the Santa Monica Pier.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day