- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
21st Century Fox on Monday said that the U.S. Department of Justice will not investigate accusations that employees might have intercepted voicemails or made illegal payments to public officials in London, and that it won’t prosecute News Corp, which had been similarly accused of wrongdoing.
“On January 28, 2015, 21st Century Fox was notified by the U.S. Department of Justice that it has completed its investigation of voicemail interception and payments to public officials in London, and is declining to prosecute the company or News Corp,” reads a regulatory filing from 21st Century Fox.
Both companies are controlled by Rupert Murdoch. When News Corp was the corporate parent of Fox, some of its European publications were accused of hacking voicemails to generate exclusive news stories. The scandal led to the closing of News of the World, which had been a thriving U.K. newspaper for more than 160 years. Since then, News Corp and 21st Century Fox have split into two separately traded companies.
“We are grateful that this matter has been concluded and acknowledge the fairness and professionalism of the Department of Justice throughout this investigation,” said Gerson Zweifach, group general counsel for 21st Century Fox and general counsel for News Corp.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day