- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Robert Pattinson rolls into theaters Friday in Water for Elephants, and here are some things you may not know about his involvement with the film:
1. The director wasn’t sure he was right for the movie.
“I was a little skeptical, because I only knew him from ‘Twilight,’ and ‘Twilight’ was a very stylized movie and it was hard to tell what he was capable of,” director Francis Lawrence told MTV News at the movie’s NYC premiere on Sunday. “But when I sat down with him, I judged him just based on who he is, and I thought, ‘Wow, I could really use this guy, because this guy kind of is Jacob from the book.’ He still has an innocence and there still is a purity to him. He’s humble, even with all of this success. He’s a man, but he’s still a little uncomfortable in his own skin. He has strength, and you know he had all the things of this guy, and I thought, ‘If I can just use who he is, we’re set.’ “
2. He got “very emotional” during sex scenes with Reese Witherspoon.
“Sexy doesn’t cover it,” she laughed to Extra. “I don’t know how we got this rating. That’s all I’m gonna say!… He just gets very emotional during sex scenes.”
3. Twilight fans showed up everyday on set.
“They were there every day, but I have to say, they were really respectful,” director Lawrence told MTV. “They kept their distance; they stayed outside of the gate. … We went to Tennessee, and we came to our first set, which was in the middle of nowhere. It was like pulling up to Woodstock. There was cars parked for miles for all of the Rob fans that were waiting. They had camped out at night [in] all of the ditches in the side of the road. We thought we were in the middle of nowhere and nobody knew where we were.”
4. He thought it was “very bizarre” to get it on with Reese Witherpsoon.
Playing her love interest was “very bizarre,” he said on NBC’s Today show Monday. The reason: He played her son in her 2004 period piece, Vanity Fair (his part was cut.)
5. He kissed girlfriend Kristen Stewart at the movie’s premiere.
They usually avoid PDA, but on Apr. 17, after Stewart joined Pattinson’s parents at his Water for Elephants premiere in New York, they sneaked in a smooch at the film’s after-party. “They were a cute couple!” a witness tells UsMagazine.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Ellen DeGeneres Show