- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the June 28 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
The Tea Party
Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) makes a sport of railing against the ultra-conservative political movement. Season one ends with him referring to the Tea Party as “the American Taliban.” Repercussions for his newscast and its parent company will be explored in season two
McAvoy’s disdain for the tabloids is a recurring theme in season one. At one point he tells a tabloid reporter it’s “a form of pollution that makes us dumber and meaner and is destroying civilization.”
ACN chief Charlie Skinner (Sam Waterston) and owner Leona Lansing (Jane Fonda) fight often about the roles advertisers, stockholders and Congress should play in the newscast. And it will remain a hot topic, with Leona’s son Reese (Chris Messina) shut out of a House of Representatives meeting because of McAvoy’s Taliban comment.
McAvoy blasts the organization, along with Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh, for “colossally lying” about President Obama’s track record on guns.
The Koch Brothers
The billionaires, well known for their contributions to conservative causes, served as a frequent punching bag in season one, with McAvoy suggesting they’re a threat to democracy.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day