- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Pixels officially has a release date.
Sony Pictures Entertainment announced Monday that the video game action comedy will hit theaters May 15, 2015. The summer tentpole stars Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad and Peter Dinklage, and will be directed by Chris Columbus.
Pixels will open opposite George Miller‘s Mad Max: Fury Road and Elizabeth Banks‘ Pitch Perfect 2.
The feature, written by Tim Herlihy and Tim Dowling, will tell what happens when aliens misinterpret video feeds of classic arcade games as a declaration of war against them. They begin a war on the human race, using the games as models for their various assaults. The U.S. president (James) turns to his childhood best friend to lead a team of old-school arcaders to save the planet. Principal photography will begin next month.
Pixels is based on a 2010 Internet short film by Patrick Jean and One More Production. Producing are Happy Madison’s Sandler and Allen Covert, as well as Columbus and his 1492 Pictures partners Michael Barnathan and Mark Radcliffe.
Executive producers are Barry Bernardi, Jack Giarraputo, Herlihy, Heather Parry and Seth Gordon.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day