- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Comparisons to major genre successes can often lead to a quick death for indies. In the case of early reviews for Adventures in the Sin Bin, those comparisons included the likes of such teen angst masters as Wes Anderson, Richard Linklater and Cameron Crowe. Can the comedy possibly live up to those ridiculously high expectations? Based on the first trailer, the outlook looks promising.
Phase 4 has released this preview for director Billy Federighi‘s colorful new comedy, which stars Michael Seater as Brian, whose van, nicknamed the “Sin Bin,” is the go-to destination for his high school’s sexual exploits. As the lowly teen watches his schoolmates get it on at his expense, he attempts to strike up a bit of his own romance by learning the ways of wooing. His crass friends and family are predictably unhelpful.
Along with Seater’s energetic performance, Adventures in the Sin Bin touts a supporting cast that includes Bo Burnham, Jeff Garlin, Gillian Jacobs, Tim Blake Nelson, Emily Meade, and Ben McKenzie.
The film premiered at the Seattle International Film Festival in 2012, where it also won the audience award. Phase 4 picked up the film in June for a theatrical and VOD release on Oct. 18.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day