- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
German outfit Beta Cinema has picked up world sales rights on Florian Gallenberger‘s Colonia, a thriller starring Harry Potter alum Emma Watson, Rush star Daniel Bruhl and Mikael Nyqvist from the original, Swedish, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
The story of the film, which Gallenberger, co-wrote with Torsten Wenzel, follows Lena (Watson) and Daniel (Bruhl), a young couple who get caught up in the Chilean military coup of 1973. Daniel is kidnapped by Augusto Pinochet’s secret police and Lena has to track him down to a no-go area in the South of the country, the so-called Colonia Dignidad.
On the surface, the Colonia is a charitable mission run by lay preacher Paul Schafer ( Nyqvist) but, no one, in fact, has ever escaped from there. Lena joins Schafer’s cult in order to find Daniel and help him escape.
Benjamin Herrmann is producing Colonia through his Berlin-based shingle Majestic. The film is currently shooting in Germany before moving to South America later this year. Majestic will bow the film in Germany in October 2015.
UTA Independent Film Group will be co-representing domestic rights to the project.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day