- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Double Dutch has taken on international sales duties for the psychological thriller Asher starring Mekhi Phifer, Rene Rosado and Gina Rodriguez.
The feature, Francisco Ordonez‘ directorial debut, has its market debut at AFM.
Described as an urban Da Vinci Code with elements of Donnie Brasco, the plot of Asher involves a New York college student (Rosado) who infiltrates a militant religious cult, the Black Israelites, as part of his research for a thesis paper. The college student befriends a dissident member of the group (Phifer), whom he begins to suspect is planning a terrorist attack.
The story is based on Ordonez’s own experiences studying the real-life Black Israelites as a student at Queens College. Erika Olmos of Olmos Kontakto Entertainment produced the film with Mario Burnias of LIFTT executive producing. APA represents domestic rights.
Will Lowery of APA and Double Dutch president Jason Moring negotiated the deal.