- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The studio plans a mid-2016 release by its Summit label for the feature based on the tales of the island castaway. StudioCanal, which is handling worldwide sales and releasing the film in Europe, screened footage from Robinson Crusoe to foreign buyers in Santa Monica.
The U.S. deal follows Lionsgate acquiring domestic distribution rights to the thrillers The Commuter, starring Liam Neeson, and Our Kind of Traitor, starring Ewan McGregor, from StudioCanal last week as the two companies continue to build on their strategic partnership.
Lionsgate handles StudioCanal’s library in North America, while StudioCanal distributes Lionsgate’s films in Germany. StudioCanal earlier closed deals for Robinson Crusoe with Notorious for Italy, Svensk for Scandinavia, Kino Swiat for Poland and Joy N Contents for Korea for the project, Stassen’s follow-up to House of Magic.
StudioCanal will release the film, produced by Stassen’s Belgium shingle nWave Pictures, in France, the U.K., Germany and Australia.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day