- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Aladdin has left animation and entered a whole new world.
The first trailer for Disney’s live-action remake arrived Thursday, giving the first glimpse of the update from the 1992 animated hit that earned more than $504 million globally
Aladdin stars Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Jasmine, Will Smith as the magical Genie, and Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, as well as Billy Magnussen and Nasim Pedrad. The trailer comes a day after Smith unveiled the first poster and more than a year after the actor showed off a cast selfie.
Aladdin comes from director Guy Ritchie, who is the latest filmmaker to tackle new adaptations of Disney animated classics following hits such as Cinderella, The Jungle Book and Beauty in the Beast. In addition to Aladdin, Disney also has remakes of The Lion King and Dumbo forthcoming.
Last year, Scott told The Hollywood Reporter her take on Jasmine emphasized her leadership qualities.
“You really get in this adaptation of the movie that her heart is for her people, and her main objective is what’s best for her kingdom,” she says. “And you really get a sense that she has those leadership qualities within her.
Aladdin opens May 24, 2019.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day