- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Alan Menken, the man behind the scores and songs from early 1990s classic Disney animated movies such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, has been tapped to compose the score for Relativity’s Snow White project Mirror Mirror.
Menken is an eight-time Oscar winner for his musical work, which also includes Pocahontas, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and more recently Tangled. Among his live-action work are Little Shop of Horrors and Newsies. He worked with lyricists Howard Ashman and Stephen Schwartz on many of the acclaimed songs.
“Despite my love of musicals, of both the stage and film variety, my most intense composing experience actually comes from scoring a movie,” said Menken in Relativity’s announcement. “The contained period of time when I spend my days and nights living within every fraction of a second of a motion picture is an exquisite combination of being totally at the service of a director’s vision and yet in a powerful position to influence and interpret the meaning of the film.
Tarsem Singh is directing the movie, which stars Julia Roberts and Lily Collins and opens March 16, 2012.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day