- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Alexandra Shipp, perhaps best known for playing Storm in the X-Men prequel movies, is in talks to join Samuel L. Jackson in Shaft.
Tim Story is directing the movie, which is seen as a continuation of the story of the private detective that first appeared in the 1970s blaxploitation action movie that became a pop culture phenomenon.
Jackson is reprising the role he first played in the 2000 update directed by John Singleton, while Jessie T. Usher has been cast to play Shaft’s son, who, after long being estranged from his father, finds himself teamed up with him. The son is a FBI cyber expert and the partnership is described as “old school meets new school,” according to the studio.
Shipp will play Usher’s love interest and the female lead of the movie.
Kenya Barris and Alex Barnow wrote the script. Barris is also producing, as is John Davis. Production is set to being in December.
New Line Cinema is releasing the movie in North America, while Netflix has international rights.
Shipp is reprising her role as Storm for X-Men: Dark Phoenix, which wrapped this summer and will be released in November 2018. She is currently filming A Dog’s Way Home for Sony.
Shipp is repped by WME, Link Entertainment and Stone Genow.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day