- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 grossed $6.92 million (417 million rupees) during its opening weekend in India, following the film’s local release on May 1. Sony Pictures India says this is the highest opening weekend figure recorded by any Hollywood film in India. The previous installment, 2012’s The Amazing Spider-Man pulled in about $5.7 million (340 million rupees) during its India opening weekend, according to SPI.
SPI also said it gave the Andrew Garfield-starrer the widest ever release for any Hollywood film in the country, with a final tally of 1,523 screens, which included dubbed versions in Hindi, Tamil and Telegu and in formats including Imax 3D and Dolby Atmos sound where available.
Overall, the Marvel sequel’s opening ranks fourth for the year, including local titles.
“The Amazing Spider-Man 2 once again consolidates Spider-Man‘s position as a franchise that cannot be beaten,” said SPI managing director Kercy Daruwala. “We are happy to say that the film garnered unprecedented buzz in the weeks before release. We have taken a mass marketing approach to this film with some unique and very local innovations.”
SPI’s marketing rollout for the film included a specially created promo Hindi music video, “Main Hoon” by local band Sanam.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day