- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
AMC Theatres — the country’s largest theater circuit — said Monday it would delay reopening its cinemas until the end of July due to a surge in COVID-19 cases.
Throughout last week, it has became clear to Hollywood that cinemas won’t be able to reopen en masse in mid-July as planned. AMC had planned to open the majority of its locations, or 450 theaters, July 15, followed by the remaining 150 locations by July 24.
Now, AMC will open its first 450 cinemas July 30, followed by the rest in early August.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that fellow mega-exhibitors Cinemark Theatres and Regal Cinemas will follow suit.
“We continue to devote extraordinary resources into our plan to operate our theater with a hyper commitment to the safety and health of our guests and associates, notably in the United States through our new AMC Safe & Clean initiative. Our theater general managers across the U.S. started working full time again today and are back in their theaters gearing up to get their buildings fully ready just a few weeks from now for moviegoers. That happy day, when we can welcome guests back into most of our U.S. theaters, will be Thursday, July 30,” AMC CEO Adam Aron said in a statement.
Once the U.S. reopening commences, AMC will have theaters open in all 15 countries in which AMC operates, including in Europe and the Middle East.
June 30, 5:43 a.m. This story has been updated with Cineworld and Cineplex reopening delays.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day