- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
America Ferrara is set to make her feature directorial debut with an adaptation of the young adult novel I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter for Netflix.
The New York Times bestseller from Erika L. Sánchez follows Julia Reyes, the precocious and strong-willed teenaged daughter of first-generation Mexican immigrants. She often clashes with her more traditional parents, who wish she were more like her sister Olga, the platonic ideal of a Mexican daughter. However, when Olga is killed in a tragic accident, it is up to Julia to hold her family together.
The novel was a National Book Award finalist in 2017 and winner of the 2018 Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award.
Ferrara will direct from a script by Linda Yvette Chávez, one of the creators of the Ferrara-produced Netflix series Gentefied.
Anonymous Content and Charles King’s Macro will produce. MACRO’s Greta Fuentes will exec produce, along with Michelle Brower for Aevitas Creative Management, which has a first-look deal with Anonymous Content.
Ferrara, repped by CAA, B. Company and Peikoff Mahan, has previously directed episodes of Gentefied and her NBC comedy Superstore.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day