- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The duo’s Hurwitz & Schlossberg Productions will be based on the lot and aim to make comedies. Their former assistant, Joseph Amaral, has been promoted to creative executive.
“When we first became friends in high school, we shared a dream of making movies — specifically, laugh-your-ass-off comedies,” the duo said in a statement. “At Universal, we feel we have found the perfect place to continue turning our dreams into reality.”
Hurwitz and Schlossberg created and wrote the Harold & Kumar comedy series, writing the first movie, 2004’s Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, and taking up the directing mantle with the second, Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo (2008). They wrote and co-produced the latest entry, last year’s A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas.
“We entrusted Jon and Hayden with one of Universal’s most valuable franchises, and we are thrilled with the result, which has been getting a tremendous response from early audience screenings,” Universal Pictures’ co-presidents of production, Peter Cramer and Jeff Kirschenbaum, said in a statement. “They really know how to make crowd-pleasing comedies, and we are excited to expand our relationship with them on other projects they create.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day