- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“You’re here with me, it’s like a dream. Let the choir sing!”
Madonna‘s upcoming opening act is, surprisingly, Amy Schumer.
The comedian tweeted Thursday that she will open for the pop legend on the New York City stops of Madonna’s Rebel Heart Tour: Madison Square Garden on Sept. 16 and 17, as well as Barclays Center on Sept. 19. It will be the first time Schumer will perform at Madison Square Garden.
The singer’s choice to open with a stand-up comedy act is an offbeat one, possibly targeting a younger demographic in order to widen Madonna’s reach. No word yet on how much music — if any — will be incorporated into Schumer’s set.
After the announcement, Madonna said on Twitter: “I hope people will stay after and watch my show!”
So, how did the star of Trainwreck and Inside Amy Schumer nab the gig? Schumer joked on Twitter that her audition tape was a childhood performance of Madge’s hit “Like a Prayer.”
— Amy Schumer (@amyschumer) June 18, 2015
— Madonna (@Madonna) June 18, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day