- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer, also known as The Lonely Island, have begun production on their untitled musical- that Judd Apatow is producing for Universal.
The trio are starring in the feature, while Schaffer and Taccone direct.
The project takes aim on the fluffy music documentaries of recent years such as Justin Bieber’s Never Say Never and Katy Perry’s Part of Me. It centers on a rapper whose latest album bombs and he must do the unthinkable: a reunion concert with his former boy band.
Apatow is producing with Rodney Rothman, Samberg, Taccone and Schaffer. Executive producing is Morgan Sackett (Seinfeld).
Shooting is underway in Los Angeles.
Lonely Island made a name for itself making industry-skewing music videos for Saturday Night Light. Apatow’s latest directorial effort, Trainwreck, opens July 17.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Santa Barbara International Film Festival