- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Angelina Jolie was presented the Sarajevo Film Festival’s “Heart of Sarajevo” award Saturday in the capital city of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The honorary prize was given to the actress for her humanitarian efforts and “active engagement in the complexities of the real world.”
Upon accepting the award, Jolie said, “I am so glad to be here at the festival which is growing from year to year. I am truly honored to receive this award.”
PHOTOS: Hollywood’s 10 Highest-Paid Actresses
Jolie filmed part of her directorial debut, In the Land of Blood and Honey, in Bosnia and Herzegovina. She worked with a completely local cast while on location for the project, which is set against the backdrop of the Bosnian Civil War in the 1990s. Zana Marjanovic (Snow), Goran Kostic and Rade Serbedzija (In the Rain) star.
She said Saturday, “I spent last year with some wonderful people from this country. I have never worked with such a disciplined and talented crew.”
PHOTOS: Biggest Hollywood Splurges
FilmDistrict will release In the Land of Blood and Honey in the U.S. on Dec. 23. GK Films produced the drama, which Jolie wrote as well as directed.
Jolie attended the Sarajevo Film Festival awards with Brad Pitt.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day