- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jolie will star in the project, which is described as a “dramatic thriller with action.”and is said to be a cross between Besson’s own much-admired movies The Professional and The Fifth Element. Besson wrote the screenplay for the new project and will produce and direct.
The studio is touting this as Besson’s return to the genre in which he made his name.
Universal picked up 80 percent of worldwide distribution rights to the project, which answers the question of what movie Jolie will do next.
PHOTOS: Angelina Jolie and Hollywood’s 10 Highest-Paid Actresses
The actress, who has her directorial debut In the Land of Blood and Honey opening Dec. 23, has several projects vying for her attention. The high-profile ones include a biopic of Gertrude Bell and Scarpetta, the latter which is set up at Fox. Universal has been tracking the development of the Bell biopic, which has Ridley Scott attached to direct, and is hoping to land it.
The new movie will begin shooting April 2012 in Paris.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
One Piece Film Red