- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
By penciling it for March, the studio is hoping the movie will channel some of the box-office charm of Alice in Wonderland, Disney’s retelling of the Lewis Carroll classic that starred Johnny Depp and grossed more than $1 billion worldwide after opening in March 2010.
The other movies slated to open March 14, 2014, are DreamWorks Animation’s Mr. Peabody and Sherman, based on the Hanna-Barbera characters. Invertigo, a Sony sci-fi thriller to be directed by D.J. Caruso and written by Ehren Kruger, opens a week earlier.
According to the studio, “the live-action film explores the origins of the evil fairy Maleficent and what led her to curse Princess Aurora in Disney’s animated classic Sleeping Beauty.”
Robert Stromberg, the Oscar-winning production designer behind Avatar and Alice, is making his directorial debut on the movie, which is being produced by Joe Roth.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day