- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Dress: In this case a tux — one very dramatic, very perfect tux by Saint Laurent.
The Wearer: Angelina Jolie.
The Event: Sunday’s BAFTAs — aka the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards where 12 Years a Slave won best film, Cate Blanchett won leading actress and American Hustle won best original screenplay. Go Team U.S.A.
Why We Dig: There have been many red-carpet tuxedos over the years, ever since Bianca Jagger wore one to Studio 54. Jane Fonda wore one to the Golden Globes in 1979, Carey Mulligan practically lived her 2013 Great Gatsby press tour in tailored pants and jackets, and Madonna missed the mark in the one she wore to this year’s Grammys. But the second we saw Jolie appear in her BAFTAs tux, we gasped. Now that is how you wear a tux.
Between the tailoring, the disheveled but still polished undone necktie, the simple leather belt and the bedroom eyes and nude lips, Jolie looked completely sexy, modern and as if she didn’t try one bit. Other wearers who go for the same vibe tend to fail (here’s looking at you, Madonna-as-Colonel-Sanders-at-the-Grammys). But Jolie — who wore a white suit to the 2001 Oscars — nailed the look by making it appear effortless, not gimmicky, as it should always be.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Tragedy of Macbeth