- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
COLOGNE, Germany — Rovio, makers of Angry Birds, have announced the official bow of their long-awaited animated television series based on the gaming phenomenon. Starting March 16, the Angry Birds Toons series promises a new episode every week featuring the adventures of the egg-stealing pigs and those furious feathered folk.
“An all-new animated series that throws the doors to Piggy Island wide open!” is how Rovio described the game-to-TV crossover on its blog today, announcing the upcoming launch.
STORY: Rovio and Lucasfilm Team Up for ‘Angry Birds Star Wars’ Game
While the majority of Angry Birds fans will, initially at least, have to watch the series on Rovio’s website, the show has been licensed to a broadcaster in Ukraine, who will give Angry Birds Toons its on-air debut next month.
The cartoon is a further move by Finnish-based Rovio to extend its hugely successful Angry Birds brand. More than 260 million users have downloaded one of Rovio’s Angry Birds apps — a huge potential audience should Rovio put its cartoons into future games or updates. The animated series also should be a driver for future sales of games and Angry Birds toys and merchandise.
You can check out a trailer for the new Angry Birds cartoon below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day