- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“You want the real story? I’ve never told the real story yet,” Hathaway told Winfrey on From the Kodak Theatre: Oprah’s Ultimate After-Oscar Party.
“I was waiting to hear back to hear if I’d been cast as Catwoman [in The Dark Knight Rises], and my manager called me and said, ‘Are you sitting down?’ and I just go, oh my god, here it comes. [Hathaway takes a deep breath.] She’s like, ‘You’re about to hear something you’ll never hear again in your whole life. I’m like, ‘OK.’ And she goes, ‘You’ve been asked to host the Oscars.’ I’m like, ‘I’m Catwoman! What?! Oh, oh, OK. What?’ ”
Hathaway said it wasn’t a job that she ever even considered being offered.
“It’s not something I ever expected,” she said. “Of course I was struck by the honor but I just thought, ‘That doesn’t make any — I could never host the Oscars.'”
But Winfrey was a fan of Hathaway’s hosting performance: “You were fantastic,” she told her.
Meanwhile, Hathaway did get good news about the Dark Knight Rises role: She’s set to play Catwoman opposite Christian Bale’s Batman in the Warner Bros. movie, which is slated for release July 20, 2012.
Watch Winfrey’s interview with Hathaway below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day