- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The vampire Lestat could be heading back to the big-screen.
Lestat was first portrayed by Tom Cruise in 1994’s Interview With the Vampire, which was made by Warner Bros. and directed by Neil Jordan. The movie also starred Brad Pitt, Christian Slater and Kirsten Dunst.
In 2002, Warners released Queen of the Damned, a big-screen translation of the third book in the Rice series that starred R&B singer Aaliyah.
Imagine used its partnership with India’s Reliance Big Entertainment to fund the acquisition of Body Thief, and it is using the Imagine Reliance Writers Lab to work on the script. Lee Patterson, who wrote a well-regarded screenplay titled Snatched, is working on Body Thief.
Karen Kehala-Sherwood, the Imagine exec who oversees the lab, and the company’s Erica Huggins are exec producing.
The hook of the Body Thief is that the story concerns body-switching. Lestat, depressed and lonely after centuries as a vampire, decides to transfer souls for a day with a psychic, who after the transfer reveals that he has no intention of switching back. Lestat, now in a human body and with the help of some friends, must track down the man and get his body back.
The project is in development and not set up at a studio.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day