- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After the success of The Greatest Showman, Fox has found its next musical event film.
Fox 2000 has picked up an original musical fantasy centering on prolific author Hans Christian Andersen from a A-list musical creative team.
Wicked composer and lyricist Stephen Schwartz is behind the musical elements of the film, which is being scripted by Mary Poppins Returns writer David Magee. Chicago producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who are currently working on the John Legend-fronted live television musical Jesus Christ Superstar, will produce.
Elizabeth Gabler and Marisa Paiva will oversee for Fox 2000.
Andersen’s public domain works like The Little Mermaid, The Snow Queen and The Ugly Duckling have long provided fodder for Hollywood.
The studio is already looking to cast a young Andersen, who in the musical gets trapped by his own imagination in the worlds of his own making. Baby Driver star Ansel Elgort, who has a side career as a musician, is a top contender for the role.
While its critical reception was mixed, The Greatest Showman, Fox’s P.T. Barnum musical starring Hugh Jackman, has grossed over $300 million at the global box office and is competing for an Oscar this weekend for the movie’s main anthem, “This Is Me.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Warner Bros. Discovery