- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bleecker Street has dated the Sean Ellis-directed World War II drama Anthropoid for Aug. 12.
The film stars Jamie Dornan and Cillian Murphy as a pair of Czech operatives.
Based on the true story of Operation Anthropoid — the code name for the mission to assassinate SS officer Reinhard Heydrich — the film follows the two soldiers from the Czech army in exile, Josef Gabcik (Murphy) and Jan Kubis (Dornan), who are parachuted into their occupied homeland in December 1941. With limited intelligence and little equipment in a city under lockdown, they endeavor to find a way to assassinate Heydrich, an operation that would change the course of the war and the face of Europe forever.
Heydrich was the main architect behind the Nazi’s Final Solution, was the Third Reich’s third in command behind Adolf Hitler and Heinrich Himmler and was the leader of Nazi forces in Czechoslovakia.
In its Aug. 12 release date, Anthropoid will open against CBS Films’ Western Hell or High Water and Paramount’s Florence Foster Jenkins.
Bleecker Street acquired U.S. rights to Anthropoid in Cannes.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day