- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It was “the stupidest thing” he’s done.
That’s how Arnold Schwarzenegger describes his affair with the family housekeeper that led to the birth of an illegitimate son — and the end of his 25-year marriage to Maria Shriver — in a new 60 Minutes interview.
In a preview released online on Friday, Schwarzenegger, who is currently promoting his new memoir Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story, faces some tough questions from Lesley Stahl.
“So you lied to her,” Stahl says.
“You could say that,” Schwarzenegger replies.
“She gave up her television career for you. I mean wow. Was this just the most unbelievable act of betrayal to Maria?” the interviewer presses on.
Schwarzenegger admits that it is, saying, “I think it was the stupidest thing I have done in the whole relationship. … I inflicted unbelievable pain on Maria and the kids.” The book goes into detail about how the affair came out, with Shriver confronting her husband with it at a couples’ counseling session.
The full interview airs on 60 Minutes‘ season premiere, airing Sunday, Sept. 30 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day