- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Austin Stowell is joining Steven Spielberg‘s upcoming untitled Cold War thriller, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
The film, based on a true story, stars Tom Hanks as an American lawyer who agrees to help the CIA rescue a pilot being detained in the Soviet Union. Stowell will play the pilot, Francis Gary Powers. In real life, Powers’ spy plane was shot down over Soviet airspace in 1960. He was captured and sentenced to 10 years in prison, prompting the U.S. to attempt to get him home.
See more Hollywood’s 100 Favorite Films
This marks the second Spielberg project for Stowell, who is currently shooting TNT’s Public Morals, a period drama Spielberg is executive producing. Stowell can currently be seen in the awards contender Whiplash in which he appears opposite Miles Teller.
20th Century Fox and DreamWorks are co-financing the film, with Fox handling international distribution. Disney is handling domestic distribution. The film hits U.S theaters Oct. 16, 2015.
Stowell is repped by CAA and ROAR.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day