- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Avengers sequel has found its villain.
James Spader has been cast as Ultron in Joss Whedon‘s sequel set for release on May 1, 2015, Marvel announced Thursday.
The actor currently stars in NBC’s spy drama The Blacklist and appeared on the big screen in Steven Spielberg‘s Lincoln.
At a Comic-Con panel in July, Whedon teased the sequel’s storyline. “We’re doing our own version of the origin story of Ultron,” he said. The director also added that Ultron was “the chief villain when I read the book. He’s been the Avengers villain for so long, I was amazed anyone was surprised it would be him in the movie.”
In addition to Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America, superheroes Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch will be joining the Avengers team for the sequel.
ICM Partners and Ziffren Brittenham lawyer Melanie Cook represented Spader.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day