- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Imax put up record opening weekend numbers for Marvel and Disney’s The Avengers on its supersized screens.
A digitally-remastered version of the superhero movie generated $15.3 million on 275 digital screens domestically, or a per-screen average of $56,000.
Avengers also set a new Imax three-day opening weekend global box office record of $21.4 million, bringing the worldwide gross to $31.3 million in Imax theatres worldwide since bowing on April 25.
Internationally over the past weekend, Avengers pulled in around $6.1 million in 176 Imax theatres, with 80 being debut runs.
That brings Imax’s international total for Avengers to $16 million, with additional markets, including Poland and Japan, still to open.
“Extremely strong word-of-mouth resulted in exceptional day-to-day as well as week-to-week holds across our global network,” Imax president of filmed entertainment Greg Foster said Monday.
Avengers set box office records elsewhere on its opening weekend, including taking $207.1 million in North America as part of its wide release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day