- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“It’s so great to be here at this really serious event,” the actress said as she stood on stage at London’s Royal Opera House, reading from a crumpled piece of paper. “I have never been invited to the Oscars, because as you know they are racists, but the BAFTAs have diverse members and that’s what we all want to see in life … diverse members.
“One day I hope to return here to collect a BAFTA myself. I have already been practicing my transgender face,” she said, before striking a pose.
The cameras panned to supporting actor nominee Idris Elba. “Sorry, Idris Elba, you are making me a bit nervous,” said Wilson. “But I am sociologically programmed to want chocolate on Valentine’s Day.”
Later in the evening, Sacha Baron Cohen made another comical jibe when presenting the award for best actress.
“The main reason I agreed to present at this awards ceremony is that BAFTA has shown none of the discrimination and prejudice, which is so shamefully on display at the Oscars,” he said. “It gives me great pride that every year BAFTA makes sure that one of the lead actress nominees is a dame … Dench, Smith.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Tonight Show