- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the Oct. 26 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
In June 1981, Barbra Streisand bought her then-boyfriend Jon Peters a classic Rolex watch and engraved it with a touching song lyric from her hit 1976 film A Star Is Born, which Peters produced.
But despite the promise of “evergreen” love, things didn’t turn out as timeless as Streisand had hoped. She and Peters soon split, and now the watch — a 1935 Rolex Prince in silver and 9-karat gold — is set to be auctioned Nov. 9 in Beverly Hills by Julien’s, with a presale estimate of $2,000 to $4,000.
Auctioneer Darren Julien says the owner wants to remain anonymous but adds that the person — who worked on the movie with Peters and Streisand — received the watch personally from Peters.
One timepiece expert tells THR the watch seems in somewhat poor condition, though its history likely will up its value.
Neither Streisand nor Peters responded to a request for comment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day