- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the May 17 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Baz Luhrmann and Leo DiCaprio already have teamed on two literary classics: Romeo + Juliet and now The Great Gatsby. So which text will the Aussie helmer likely tackle next with his go-to leading man?
“Hamlet,” Luhrmann told THR at the New York premiere of Gatsby on May 1. “To me, Gatsby is the American Hamlet. What else could we possibly do as a follow-up?” The first thing Luhrmann needs to do, though, is persuade DiCaprio to take on another Shakespeare work to complete their bookish trifecta: “It’s just a dream at this point,” he says.
Also discovered at the New York premiere: Gatsby executive producer Jay-Z, who provided tracks for the film, has been obsessed with F. Scott Fitzgerald‘s self-made mogul for years. He nearly starred in the 2005 movie G, a hip-hop spin on the novel that was written and produced by Andrew Lauren (son of Ralph), according to sources.
Jay-Z and Sean Combs pursued roles that would have had them playing rap rivals.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day