- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Disney India has launched its live entertainment unit with a local musical adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.
Produced with local talent, the English-language production will travel to Mumbai and Delhi between October and December and will be directed by Disney India’s Live Entertainment head Vikranth Pawar. The show will also feature well-known behind-the-scenes Bollywood talent such as choreographer Terence Lewis and music producer Leslie Lewis.
The new Indian take on the classic fairy tale comes as Disney is re-booting its Beauty and the Beast franchise with a new, live-action version of the tale, starring Emma Watson and Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey), directed by Bill Condon.
Disney India did not reveal budget details and ticket pricing for its production, which will be based on the 1991 Academy Award-winning animated feature.
The first staged musical version of the film opened on Broadway in 1994 and featured music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day