- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Benedict Cumberbatch is already getting Oscar buzz for his new film The Imitation Game, in which the actor plays the code-breaking British mathematician Alan Turing. Turns out, the actor might actually be related to Turing. Or at least, that’s what Ancestry genealogists are saying.
Researchers from the family history site claim that Cumberbatch and Turing are 17th cousins dating back to the 14th century. The site traced the paternal lines of the two men and found they were both related to John Beaufort, the first Earl of Somerset.
“It’s amazing to think that when stepping into the role of Alan Turing, he would not only be portraying a world-class code breaker but a real-life relation,” the U.K. content manager for Ancestry told The Telegraph.
No word yet on Cumberbatch’s relation to consulting detectives.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Red Sea Film Festival