- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ellen DeGeneres was ready with a list of potential baby names for father-to-be Benedict Cumberbatch when he stopped by her show this week. The actor listened to her list, making jokes and providing comments on the options.
Cumberbatch was his usual, charming self in the interview, and he explained why he photobombed Meryl Streep and Margaret Cho during the Golden Globes. He said he had promised he would never photobomb anyone again but then along came the perfect opportunity. “Meryl Streep and someone from North Korea stood right in front of me for about 5 minutes trying to take a photograph,” said Cumberbatch. “This is ridiculous; I just jumped up into the camera.”
DeGeneres forced the Imitation Game actor to say the name his fans call themselves — Cumberbitches — and he discussed his initial reservations with the term.
“I just went, ‘Ladies, this is wonderful. I’m very flattered, but has this not set feminism back a little bit? Empower yourselves if you’re going to get silly about a guy with maybe a little bit more of a sort of you know a high-regard, self-regard thing,’ ” said Cumberbatch. “But yeah, they were very sweet. They wrote back and were like, ‘Well, we didn’t mean any harm to feminism; we’re just having a little bit of fun with your name.’ “
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day